Friday, October 23, 2009

Much Ado About Shining Boleros

We're into the final performance weekend of Much Ado About Nothing, our inaugural show in the Gottwald Playhouse at Richmond CenterStage, and I'll make no bones about it: I think you should see this show. Come see the new venue, come see how we've begun to make use of its outstanding acoustics, new lighting and sound equipment and amenities. The bar will be open. Tickets are $15, $26, and $38.

That said, it's only one night of three. For your Friday, Saturday or Sunday afternoon, if I can make a recommendation for two not spent watching Much Ado, let me give a shout out to Boleros for the Disenchanted at Barksdale Theatre's Willow Lawn space and Henley Street Theatre's The Shining City.


I saw Shining City on the same night as Barksdale's Bruce Miller, and he's done an excellent job summing up the night, here. I was absolutely thrilled by Joe Inscoe's performance, as always, and pleased with everyone else. It's a big step up for Henley and one that Richmond should embrace.


However, I will admit to just thoroughly loving Boleros for the Disenchanted at Barksdale. I cared about its characters far more deeply than I thought possible; I felt connected to the story, and was delighted by its structure, its terrific comedy (with beauty, laughter, sadness and terrific language all thrown in), and its flawless execution. Kudos to Rick Brandt, Jason Winebarger and the entire crew at Willow Lawn. Bruce Miller's direction is spot-on, some of his best. There's a nifty video interview on the B'dale website here.

However, it's Bruce's casting here that has Boleros shining so strongly. He talks about the casting in the video; the actors are excellent. Rivera's play is in wonderful hands, and this love story to his parents and to the island of Puerto Rico itself is a real treat for theatergoers. I loved it.

There is an initial sample of the Latin Ballet of VA, dancing boleros at the top of the show and again at intermission---led by the exquisite Ana Ines King. She is a tremendous athlete, a terrific dancer, producer and an elegant lady. Virginia is desperately lucky to have her residing in our midst.

So, tonight, come see Much Ado. Tomorrow and Sunday? Go see Shining City or Boleros for the Disenchanted.

2 comments:

Bruce Miller said...

Thanks for the kind words, Grant. I too have now seen all three shows, and found much to enjoy. I hope everyone takes your advice this weekend. Congrats on a terrific Much Ado.

Jacquie O. said...

Hi Grant! Thank you for the shout out. I hope you had wonderful closing night crowds. I really enjoyed Much Ado and I especially loved seeing new faces on stage! I look forward to your next show.